The following is a list of activities conducted by the Certified program in the Rocky Mountain Division for the 2014-2015 ski season.
- The National Certified Program Director was asked relieved of his duties in February 2015. I applied for the position of National Certified Program Director and was interviewed on April 2. From what I have heard there were five people interviewed for the position, 3 from Eastern Division, one from Central and me from Rocky Mountain. On April 8 I was notified the NSP Board Chair selected a person from Eastern division. I have not heard if I am still the Assistant NPD.
- January 24, 2015 a certification qualification clinic was held at Powderhorn resort. Two candidates were given a clinic on several of the certified modules.
- A certification qualification clinic was held at Ski Granby Ranch February 28 and March 1, 2015. Four candidates participated from Ski Granby Ranch. The Patrol director attended the entire clinic and was very pleased with the material covered by the program. He wants to host another clinic/evaluation next season with hopes of getting more patrollers to participate.
- March 2-4 the Association of Professional Patrollers (APP) held a certified clinic at Red River, NM. Patrollers from Red River ski resort and Angel Fire ski resort participated. I was unable to attend this due to traveling back from Ski Granby Ranch and car problems.
- I applied for the position of National Certified Program Director. From what I have heard there were five people interviewed for the position, 3 from Eastern Division, one from Central and me from Rocky Mountain. A person from Eastern division was selected.
- I was not able to attend the APP Spring Clinic at Mammoth Mountain this year due to scheduling conflicts.
- Several of the module evaluations were updated to bring them into line with the current evaluations the National Certified Committee has put together.
I was invited to participate in a risk management forum at the Association of Professional Patrollers Mid Winter clinic at 49o North near Spokane Washington ion February 8, 2015.
- I am trying something different this year and providing an opportunity to candidates to be evaluated at the Annual Division Meeting on a few of the modules that do not require snow. This gives them the opportunity to complete more modules during the year.
Plans for the coming year again include attempting to hold at least one clinic in all the regions in RMD to make it easier for patrollers to participate in the program. I will continue to participate on the national certified committee to develop national standards and represent RMD. I would also like to pursue the possibility of having a joint certification clinic with the APP. I’m not sure how well that will be received.